Music to Your Ears
Rock (and Otherwise) Around Town
What's happening this week in the sonic realms of New Mexico? Below is a compilation of potentially amazing shows to take in around our region—from Chicano rock to hair metal to electropop.
• Vintage Mexican romantic group Los Temerarios, founded circa the late '70s in Zacatecas, will serenade the Route 66 Casino (14500 Central SW), Legends Theater on Friday, Sept. 7, at 8 p.m. Tickets go for $25-$40.
• Pop-oriented singer/songwriter The Real Matt Jones releases his new album History at Low Spirits (2823 Second Street NW) on Saturday, Sept. 8, at 9 p.m. Marsh and Asper Kourt provide opening performances. The $10 cover also grants showgoers a copy of the CD.
• If you didn't get enough Chicano rock at Albuquerque's pan-Downtown Centennial event back in June, you can catch Los Lobos again on Saturday, Sept. 8, at 7 p.m. at Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino's Tewa Ballroom (20 Buffalo Thunder Trail, Santa Fe). Tickets are going for $20 and up.
• Steve Hammond's Albuquerque swan song (for now) takes place on Monday, Sept. 10, when he plays live for the last time locally (for now) as Retard Slave at the Launchpad (618 Central SW). Super BTF shredding also provided by Fando, Phalgeron and Contortionist. Put in your earplugs at 9:30 p.m. The cover to the 21-and-over show is $5.
• If you like your music on the peace, love and Yah tip of the spectrum, take in the Hebrew reggae of Matisyahu on Tuesday, Sept. 11, at the Sunshine Theater (120 Central SW). The concert begins at 8 p.m. with a performance by The Dirty Heads. Tickets are going for $31.
• Here's a show for those still gripped by the spandex and leathers of '80s yesteryear. On Tuesday, Sept. 11, Def Leppard, Poison and Lita Ford purvey pinched harmonics and sexual innuendo at Sandia Casino Amphitheater (30 Rainbow Road) starting at 7 p.m. Tickets cost a totally gnarly $75-90!
• And finally, a show for the hipsters: Massachusetts electropop act Passion Pit plays at Santa Fe's Community Convention Center (201 West Marcy) on Wednesday, Sept. 12. Santa Fe DJ Mickey Paws starts the festivities (which you can join for $29) at 7:30 p.m.
Off With Their Heads • pop punk • Brassknuckle Boys at Launchpad
Solos on the Hill • Russell James Pyle • folk, singer-songwriter at Tractor Brewing Company
Insane Clown Posse • horrorcore, hip-hop • Young Wicked • rap • Ded • Dj Stigmata at Sunshine TheaterMore Recommended Events ››