By John Bear
Attention Button-Pushers (Photographers)
Does your family shout “Damn you, paparazzo!” every time you enter the room? Do you see the beauty in telephone lines crisscrossing the Albuquerque sky? Do birds sense your presence? Do the police know you by name because you’re always showing up at wrecks and fires to get that perfect shot?
If so, you should enter the eighth annual Alibi Photo Contest.
It’s real easy. These are the rules.
1) Upload no more than three photos to our Alibi Photo Contest 2011 group on Flickr.com. Label them with their appropriate tag.
Most of this year’s categories are the same as last year’s:
• ¡Que Albuquerque!—
• Things Are Not What They Seem—For manipulated or Photoshopped images (tag: thingsarenotwhattheyseem)
• People Are People—Human-focused photos (tag: peoplearepeople)
• Land Ho—Landscapes of the natural world, flowers, a plant, etc. (tag: landho)
• This Modern Life—Architecture, street scenes, the weird and wonderful world of the man-made (tag: thismodernlife)
I’m adding two more themes, however.
• Birds—They love being photographed. The more obscure and endangered, the better. A roadrunner smashing a lizard into a rock is likewise also cool. (tag birds)
• From the Streets—Albuquerque, nay, New Mexico, is a crazy place. Photos of wrecks, fires and emergency situations are always fun to get. Caveat: Don’t interfere with the police or firefighters. Get the photos like a ghost. (tag: streets)
2) On Flickr, add “alibidotcom” as a contact and send us a FlickrMail with the following information:
Subject—Alibi Photo Contest 2011
Body—Your full name, titles of all photos you’ve submitted and contact info (e-mail and phone)
3) Photo resolution should be at approximately 360 DPI at a reproduction size of 5 by 7 inches (or 1,800 by 2,520 in pixels). If your photo is chosen for the cover, we’ll contact you for a higher resolution image. (In general, if you’re chosen as a winner and your Flickr image is not at the proper resolution, we’ll contact you for a higher resolution copy.)
In the interest of fairness, anyone who still shoots old school (with actual film) can send their pics to 413 Central NW, Albuquerque, N.M., 87102. Keep them 8 by 10 inches or smaller.
Entries must be received by Thursday, March 17, at 5 p.m. Winners will be announced in the March 31 issue. Buena suerte.
Sandra Cisneros Exhibition Tour at National Hispanic Cultural Center
Author of The House on Mango Street shares her thoughts and perspectives about both her own writing and the exhibit.
Miranda Sings at Kiva Auditorium
Original Instructions: Pueblo Sovereignty and Pueblo Governance at Indian Pueblo Cultural CenterMore Recommended Events ››