Valencia County deputy faces kidnapping and extortion charges.
Former sheriff's daughter faces counterfeiting charges.
Drunk driver drinks in front of cops during traffic stop.
Lawyer wants to see cops' Facebook pages.
Interpol issues alert for Gadhafi.
Basketball player dies after winning shot.
'River of Blood' reported inside Libyan city.
Burqa ban goes in effect in France next month.
Child molester to be castrated so he can get parole.
Happy birthday, Bobby Womack.
Don’t forget, Alan Arkin is coming to Albuquerque to read from his memoir. That’s tonight, March 1.
Arkin snorted drugs, taught little girls how to dance sexy and espoused the virtues of promiscuity in Little Miss Sunshine.
He was also gangster Ernie Lazarro in The Jerky Boys (worth seeing if only for Tom Jones singing “Are You Gonna Go My Way” by Lenny Kravitz, with a full brass section).
He’s been a part of your life.
Now he can be the guy reading to you from his memoir, An Improvised Life, on at the KiMo Theatre (423 Central NW) at 7 p.m.
The event is free, but if you buy a copy of the book from Bookworks (4022 Rio Grande NW), not only will you be helping out a local merchant, but you get your seat half an hour early.
Burger King catches fire.
Kids are drinking the sizzurp in Albuquerque.
Four Amish kids killed in buggy crash.
Arrest made in road rage shooting.
'Two and a Half Men' halted after Charlie Sheen goes on rant.
Eagles are dying of starvation.
Glenn Beck apologizes for being an anti-semite douche.
Charlie Sheen denies being an anti-semite douche.
Wisconsin GOP wins round one.
There is still time to impress us with your photo skills and win cool stuff. Enter the eighth annual Alibi Photo Contest.
It’s real easy. These are the rules.
1) Upload no more than three photos to our Alibi Photo Contest 2011 group on Flickr.com. Label them with their appropriate tag.
Most of this year’s categories are the same as last year’s:
• ¡Que Albuquerque!—
• Things Are Not What They Seem—For manipulated or Photoshopped images (tag: thingsarenotwhattheyseem)
• People Are People—Human-focused photos (tag: peoplearepeople)
• Land Ho—Landscapes of the natural world, flowers, a plant, etc. (tag: landho)
• This Modern Life—Architecture, street scenes, the weird and wonderful world of the man-made (tag: thismodernlife)
I’m adding two more themes, however.
• Birds—They love being photographed. The more obscure and endangered, the better. A roadrunner smashing a lizard into a rock is likewise also cool. (tag birds)
• From the Streets—Albuquerque, nay, New Mexico, is a crazy place. Photos of wrecks, fires and emergency situations are always fun to get. Caveat: Don’t interfere with the police or firefighters. Get the photos like a ghost. (tag: streets)
2) On Flickr, add “alibidotcom” as a contact and send us a FlickrMail with the following information:
Subject—Alibi Photo Contest 2011
Body—Your full name, titles of all photos you’ve submitted and contact info (e-mail and phone)
3) Photo resolution should be at approximately 360 DPI at a reproduction size of 5 by 7 inches (or 1,800 by 2,520 in pixels). If your photo is chosen for the cover, we’ll contact you for a higher resolution image. (In general, if you’re chosen as a winner and your Flickr image is not at the proper resolution, we’ll contact you for a higher resolution copy.)
In the interest of fairness, anyone who still shoots old school (with actual film) can send their pics to 413 Central NW, Albuquerque, N.M., 87102. Keep them 8 by 10 inches or smaller.
Entries must be received by Thursday, March 17, at 5 p.m. Winners will be announced in the March 31 issue. As always, Buena suerte.
Person killed in overnight crash.
APD votes no confidence in Darren White.
Police nab suspects accused of stealing over 700,000 condoms.
Art made by kids thrown away.
Three officers injured in two days.
Cubs missing from bear sculpture.
Bahrain troops fire on crowds.
Dude had knife in head for four years without noticing.
Justin Bieber is against abortion, even in cases of rape.
Five killed in multi-vehicle crash.
More women claim tainted yogurt samples. John Bear permanently swears off yogurt.
Ex-Astronaut not going to be Secretary of Energy.
Al Sharpton coming to New Mexico.
Opossum picks Oscar winners. (By the way, opossums are really chupacabras.)
Guy convicted of killing Chandra Levy to be sentenced.
Researchers find 200-year-old ship wreck.
Boss Hogg’s wife dies.
Happy Birthday, Burt Reynolds.
How to have good Valentine’s Day sex.
I was driving in a remote and beautiful stretch of the Texas panhandle one day when I saw a pile of what was once a raccoon. No big deal. There is a ton of road kill on this portion of nowhere in between Memphis, Texas and Hollis, Okla.
But there was a gray thing standing by the raccoon and I knew at once it was an armadillo. I had never seen one, not alive, always dead like the poor coon. This one might have been dead as well. A raccoon and armadillo might have murdered each other, and there mortal combat locked in time would make a good photo opportunity.
In either case it seemed like a u-turn was totally worth it.
The armadillo was not dead and was feasting enthusiastically. It was shoulder deep inside what remained of the raccoon. It didn't stop for me, not until I was within 10 feet of the beast. It was ancient, primordial. It stopped eating, took a step back and eyed me but did not run off. I shot some more photos but left before the thing ran into the street--and the horrible fate that befell the coon.
Escaped inmate planned on overdosing on dope and letting bears eat him, but was stopped by voice of reason. Average weekend at Casa de Juan Oso.
Cops get take home cars back.
Bicyclist gets hit by car in northeast Albuquerque.
CYFD workers placed on leave following boy's death.
Woman claims yogurt sample tainted with bodily fluids. Another day at Casa de Juan Oso.
Student loans blamed for downturn in freshman mental health.
Taco Bell launches ad campaign to defend beef.
Woman who says she is gay faces deportation from Britain to Uganda, where, of course, they shoot gay people. Britain says she is not gay.
Hawaii bill would grant access to Obama's birth records. Effort to stop dumb ass birthers.
Shit hitting the fan in Egypt.