Saturday night! Free Ozomatli concert, lesbian film cookbook, Bat Wings For Lab Rats CD release, The Jazz Loft Project, Vertigo Venus all-ages pajama party
• Book release party for indie filmmaker Nina Knapp. Her new book Reel Food From Reel Women serves up recipes from women in the entertainment industry. Party is from 4-6 p.m. Exhale Bar & Grill (6132 4th Street NW). See all the juicy details here.
• CD release party for local band Bat Wings For Lab Rats at the Launchpad at 8 p.m. They perform with The Big Spank, Reviva, People's Republic and Seis Pistos. $5, All Ages until midnight. 21+ aftershow after midnight. Sneak a look at BWFLR vocalist Rob Nakai’s random ipod playlist.
• Jazz Festival concert, Los Pleneros de la 21 and Cesar Bauvallet y Tradiciones in Old Town Plaza at 2 p.m., free. ALSO: The Jazz Loft Project, a presentation by author Sam Stephenson. 8 p.m. at VERVE Gallery of Photography, Santa Fe. Free (reservations strongly recommended). Read the article and scan the festival schedule.
• Local rock/punk band Vertigo Venus All-Ages CD Release Pajama Party with Shoulder Voices and The Booty Green, at Revlis , 712 Central SE, at 8 p.m. Tickets: $3 if wearing pajamas, $6 otherwise. Captain America tells you more about the band.
• Free concert sponsored by LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens) at the Tingley Coliseum, state Fairground at 7 p.m. Featuring Latin music acts Ozomatli, Cristian Castro and Pee Wee. Watch the clip.
• Art reception for two shows, Unraveling Tradition by artist Yelizaveta Nersesova and Restoration at 516 ARTS (516 Central NW), 6- 8 p.m. Restoration showcases art created by textile conservators and restorers. But both exhibits explore art through thread and textile mediums. The show runs through Sept. 11. Read Arts Editor Patricia Sauthoff’s gallery review.