The Association of Alternative Newsweeklies announced the winners of its nationwide alt.weekly journalism contest—and three Alibi contributors locked down four awards! Here’s how they did:
• Best Column (circulation under 50,000): Our Miss Diagnosis column, penned by family nurse practitioner Whitny Doyle, took a healthy third place. (“Seduction of a Nurse,” “Robbins Burns Rubbers” and “Life and Death on the Night Shift.”)
• Illustration (circulation under 50,000): Jeff also picked up third place for artwork in the Pacific Northwest Inlander.
Well done and congratulations!
The Association of Alternative Newsweeklies runs a notoriously tough, nationwide alt.weekly journalism contest—and the Alibi is kicking some unprecedented ass in it. This year, more than 88 publications submitted their very best stuff in design and writing categories. Here’s how Albuquerque is representing:
• Alibi restaurant critic and food columnist Ari LeVaux is one of four finalists duking it out for Best Food Writing, circulation under 50,000. (The three stories we submitted: “Le Fooding,” “An Offal Story” and “Chewing the Fat.”) Masticate the competition, Ari!
• Registered nurse and recent UNM family nurse practitioner program graduate Whitny Doyle writes our Miss Diagnosis column. She’s been selected as a finalist for Best Column, circulation under 50,000. (The articles we submitted: “Seduction of a Nurse,” “Robbins Burns Rubbers” and “Life and Death on the Night Shift.”) Draw some blood out there, you phlebotomist!
• Last but not least, Alibi graphic designer Jeff Drew is up for awards in two distinct categories. His cover for Vermont’s Seven Days and illustrations for the Pacific Northwest Inlander are both heavy contenders. Render those other fools into a vanishing point of pain, you X-ACTO knife-wielding art-school murderer!
Coldcock!!! (as they call themselves) returned to the trivia competition last year and took second place.
The taste of glory remains fresh in Albuquerque’s collective mouth. But now Denver comedian Adam Cayton-Holland (adamisfreakingoutrightnow.com) is trying to taint our nerds’ hard-won victory with the bitter flavor of shitty jokes.
Oh, Denver. I thought your inability to grasp what “Mexican food” is, not to mention the fact that your city planners can’t stop playing footsie with the Klan, were bad. But sending some no-name comic to fan the flames of contempt—with balloon fiesta material (uggghhhh), no less—how could you stoop so low?
John Dicker, Quizmaster-in-Chief of the Geeks Who Drink pub quiz franchise, passed the video along to the Alibi this morning.
Hey, Denver. Fuck you. You’re going down.