Kimo is an Albuquerque-based musician who has been “crankin’ out tunes” for nearly two decades. In addition to drawing a number of honors over the years, she was voted the Alibi’s best singer-songwriter in Best of Burque 2010. Right now, Kimo is working on a new album and booking shows with a new band (shhhh—more on that in due time). To tide you over, here are the five random songs that appeared on her shuffled iTunes.
1) “You Painted Yourself In” • Jolie Holland • The Living and The Dead“This album was given to me by a friend who thought I’d enjoy it. Wow! Was he sure correct! There’s not one single song that I skip!”
2) “Rosewater” • Waycross • Waycross
“A now defunct band—R.I.P.—a friend o’ mine who lived in Albuquerque for a summer years ago fronted this band. The haunting lyrics and vocals pull me in every time.”
3) “Lo-Fi Tennessee Mountain Angel” • Whiskeytown • Faithless Street“What can I say ... Whiskeytown. (Insert heart symbol.)”
4) “Take It Easy Mama” • Ryan Bingham • Mescalito“Ryan Bingham is perhaps my favorite songwriter right now. I discovered him on Austin City Limits late one night. I’ve learned nearly all of his songs!”
5) “Lazy Eye” • Silversun Pickups • Carnavas
“Perhaps the BEST SONG EVER WRITTEN! I put this song as the first on my bike riding playlist. I truly believe that this song makes me drive faster.”