Best Food Haiku:
The Frontier sweet roll
swims in butter on my plate—
—Ray Tokuda, 2011
Best City Politician: Mayor Richard Berry
Worst City Politician: Mayor Richard Berry
Worst Use of City Money: Lead and Coal Construction
Best "Breaking Bad" Location: Dog House Drive In
Best Artist: Angus Macpherson
Best Psychic: Judy Delphonse
• Summer skies turn apocalypse yellow with smoke from Arizona and the huge Las Conchas fire near Los Alamos.
• The KiMo Theatre sign is restored to its historic glory.
• Public access channel provider Quote … Unquote, Inc. sees its 30-year contract revoked.
• The Arab Spring ignites in Tunisia and ripples across the Middle East.
• Occupy Wall Street puts economic disparity at the forefront of the U.S. political conversation.
• Osama bin Laden is tracked down and killed by a secretive U.S. special ops force.
• Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords survives a mass shooting in Tucson.
• Japan is hit with a strong earthquake, followed by a tsunami that causes a nuclear plant meltdown.
• Voters run red-light cameras out of town.
• Joss Whedon’s cinematic take on The Avengers starts shooting Downtown, directly across the street from the Alibi offices. He attends a psychedelic ice cream social we throw at Launchpad. The historic Kress building is used as a stand-in for Captain America’s boxing gym. The sequence is raced into theaters to serve as a post-credits “teaser” in Captain America: The First Avenger.
• Gov. Martinez puts film incentives on the chopping block and embarks on a spree of bill-vetoing.