New Mexico Pursuit
It's the Alibi Trivia Challenge!
By Jessica Cassyle Carr
Well, it's not so much a challenge. And you don't win anything ... except a sense of accomplishment at having acquired or relearned important information about the state in which you reside. Answers can be found at www.alibi.com.
1) What is New Mexico's population, rounded up to the nearest million?
2) New Mexico is the fifth-largest, yet most sparsely populated state. What percentage of its landmass is public?
3) New Mexico shares a border with old Mexico, but can you name the five states with which we share a border?
4) What is the ruthless moniker of New Mexico's state fish, a type of trout?
5) The official state insect is an even crueler wasp. What is it?
6) What is our state's boring-
7) Ancient Pueblo, or Anasazi, culture emerged in approximately 1200 B.C. and declined around 1200 A.D. It was also behind the creation of what stunning and mystifying northwest New Mexico site?
8) Which conquistador was the first to explore New Mexico a century before pilgrims made their way to New England, propelling other Spanish explorers to the area with stories of "Seven Cities of Gold"?
9) The ancient trading route that became known as El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro in the 16th century was a 2,000-mile royal road stretching to Santa Fe from what city?
10) Which controversial conquistador was responsible for the first Spanish settlement in New Mexico in 1598?
11) During the 17th century, the pueblo people reacted to religious and cultural oppression by the Spanish with what historical event?
12) When in the 18th century was El Bosque de Doña Luisa established as Villa de Albuquerque?
13) New Mexico became a state in 1912, making it the _____th state.
14) The state song is "__ ___ New Mexico," while the our city's song should be Jim Glaser's nasally 1985 hit, "__ ___ of Albuquerque."
15) With sightings in San Juan, Taos, Colfax and other counties, what hairy hominoid is the state's unofficial cryptid?
16) In 1947, either an alien craft or a top-secret balloon crashed on a ranch near Roswell. Which was it?
17) The production of potash is counted as a major industry in the state. What the hell is potash?
18) Before Truth or Consequences took its name on a game show in 1950, what was the spa town originally called?
19) U.S. Route 666, or "The Devil's Highway," is now known by what non-evil digits?
20) Everyone knows New Mexico is the "Land of Enchantment," but besides this and "The Land of the Delight Makers," what are some other state nicknames (feel free to come up with your own)?
BMRC Modular Train Show with Vendor Swap Meet at Mid Valley Air Park
Turquoise, Water, Sky: The Stone and Its Meaning at Museum of Indian Arts & CultureMore Recommented Events ››