Best Haiku as Written by Mayor Martin Chavez:
—Rick Mott, 1996
• We launch our first website: desert.net/alibi. The paper also sweats out its first Summer Guide, still appearing inside hot metal distribution boxes every May. Angie Drobnic Holan is a senior staff writer; she’ll go on to win a Pulitzer Prize in 2009 as part of the team behind Politifact.com. The paper has a thriving news section and promises an election issue: “Weekly Alibi will present the 1996 general election in a manner only Albuquerque’s alternative press is capable of.” We throw a KISS tribute show at the Dingo Bar.
Best Live Theater/Performance Troupe: Albuquerque Civic Light Opera Association
• The soundtrack to Trainspotting is released stateside. The mix of techno and primal punk is so good, we still break it out occasionally.
• Clinton gets re-elected president, while Russia chooses Boris Yeltsin as commander-in-chief.
• The Unabomber (Harvard grad and recluse Theodore John Kaczynski) is arrested, ending a 20-year string of mail-bombings. His hoodied visage sparks thousands of lazy Halloween costumes.
• Wildfires, drought and two months of endless wind are reported in the state.
• Fargo by the Coen brothers hits theaters.
• Stereolab plays the Dingo. DJ Spooky opens.
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
Ars Longa: Vita Brevis at Rodey Theatre
Vanguard choreography in flamenco and contemporary dance by international guest artists and UNM’s distinguished resident faculty.
Women Deacons in the Catholic Church at UNM Continuing Education Building
Through The Roots • reggae • Vibestrong • rock • Burque Sol • Pocketful of Dub Soundsystem at LaunchpadMore Recommended Events ››