Best Haiku Mocking the Concept of Haiku:
If our area
code changed to five seven five:
—Jeffrey E. Milling, 2001
• On Sept. 11, four passenger jets are hijacked. Two crash into the World Trade Center, one crashes into the Pentagon, and one is diverted into an empty field after passengers fight back and take control. Nearly 3,000 people die.
Best Cultural Bargain: Albuquerque Museum
Best Local Substitute For Viagra: Green chile
Best NE Heights Bar: Millennium
Best Actor To Play Don Schrader In The Made-For-TV Movie Of His Life: Brad Pitt
• By October, the U.S. “War on Terror” and a bombing campaign to overthrow the al-Qaida-linked Taliban government in Afghanistan are underway.
• Major local reconstruction efforts begin with the Big I renovation project and the conversion of long-neglected old Albuquerque High School into loft apartments.
• The iPod is released by Apple. The Walkman crawls off into a corner somewhere and dies.
• After months of public speculation, inventor Dean Kaman finally unveils his top-secret project, code named “Ginger,” in New York’s Bryant Park. It turns out to be a two-wheeled, self-balancing scooter known as the Segway PT. It’s kinda cool, we guess, but the machine never lives up to the hyperbolic hype that it will “change the way cities are designed” or be “more important than the Internet.”
• The first of Peter Jackson’s monumentally successful Lord of the Rings films, The Fellowship of the Rings, tops the box office, taking in $47 million its first weekend.