Best Haiku Mocking the Concept of Haiku:
—Jeffrey E. Milling, 2001
• On Sept. 11, four passenger jets are hijacked. Two crash into the World Trade Center, one crashes into the Pentagon, and one is diverted into an empty field after passengers fight back and take control. Nearly 3,000 people die.
Best Cultural Bargain: Albuquerque Museum
• Editor-in-Chief Michael Henningsen publishes an editorial after 9/11 titled “America is Not a Blameless Nation.” In it, he writes that America’s foreign policy is among the problems that spurred the terrorist attacks. “... The question we should all be asking—especially our leaders—is not simply who to retaliate upon and how violently, but how we as a country can avoid playing into such international strife in the future.” Issues of the Alibi are torn from stands and dumped into the street. Years later, Henningsen’s sensible perspective becomes a common one.
• By October, the U.S. “War on Terror” and a bombing campaign to overthrow the al-Qaida-linked Taliban government in Afghanistan are underway.
• Major local reconstruction efforts begin with the Big I renovation project and the conversion of long-neglected old Albuquerque High School into loft apartments.
• The iPod is released by Apple. The Walkman crawls off into a corner somewhere and dies.
• After months of public speculation, inventor Dean Kaman finally unveils his top-secret project, code named “Ginger,” in New York’s Bryant Park. It turns out to be a two-wheeled, self-balancing scooter known as the Segway PT. It’s kinda cool, we guess, but the machine never lives up to the hyperbolic hype that it will “change the way cities are designed” or be “more important than the Internet.”
• The first of Peter Jackson’s monumentally successful Lord of the Rings films, The Fellowship of the Rings, tops the box office, taking in $47 million its first weekend.
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
Bentley Zumba at Hiland Theater
High energy dance class for all levels.
Monday Night Film Club at Tractor Brewing Wells Park
Jim Jones • country at The Blue Grasshopper Brew PubMore Recommended Events ››