Best Haiku Written About Humans from the Perspective of an
We've been watching you
For 21,000 years.
We are not impressed.
—David Blankenbaker, 2003
• The Alibi moves its offices from Nob Hill to Downtown. Writer Jeremiah Luria Johnson attends APD’s training academy. Our annual Survival Guide opens with a line about PalmPilots. We hold our second-annual mail art contest, which yields an antiwar dinosaur sculpture and a punched tin batch of “Art in a Box.” At the Spring Crawl: Rage Against Martin Sheen, The Roxieharts, Simple., Oktober People, The Dirty Novels and Jet Black Summer. The Alibi ponders again whether Downtown revitalization will fix Albuquerque’s economy.
Best Use Of Local Tax Dollars: Downtown revitalization
Best Local Hero: Andy the Weather Dog
Best Pick-Up Line Using The Phrase “Axis Of Evil”: Can I Offer You a Ride on My Axis of Evil?
Best Thing Mayor Chavez Could Do To Get Albuquerque Off The Bottom Of Virtually Every Meaningful List: Resign
• With the invasion of Iraq, the Bush administration launches the country’s first “preemptive” war.
• Local protesters marching against the military action confront APD officers, who use tear gas, pepper spray and rubber bullets on the demonstrators.
• The Dixie Chicks express shame that President Bush is from Texas, and radio stations yank them from rotation.
• After three years without minor league baseball in the city, the Albuquerque Isotopes stadium opens.
• Columbia’s damaged heat shield causes the space shuttle to disintegrate during descent through Earth’s atmosphere.
•Affirmative action in education gets affirmed by the Supreme Court.
• Sofia Coppola, daughter of Francis Ford, turns big-time writer-director with Lost in Translation. The sublime dramedy starring Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson is nominated for four Academy Awards and takes home Best Original Screenplay.