Best Radio Personality: Donnie Chase
• In honor of the the First Amendment and the Fourth of July, the Alibi hosts a free speech rally in the Fourth Street Mall called “Soap Box: A Festival of Opinions.” The crawls run their course, and Fall Crawl is our last. We try to wrangle APD into conducting a test on sprays that are said to make your license plate invisible to red-light cameras. No luck. The Alibi runs a tribute to Canada, eh, and a feature on how to eat the city’s weeds. Virginia Lovliere Hampton pens a great essay on being black in the Southwest called “Can I Touch Your Hair?”
Best Traditional Haiku:
—Carol Moscrip, 2007
• Adult film fest “Pornotopia” gets in trouble with the law before it even starts, and the city cites organizers for zoning code violations at Guild Cinema.
• The first annual New Mexico Burlesque Showcase (later renamed Southwest Burlesque Showcase) bumps-and-grinds its way into the KiMo Theatre, a historic venue for Albuquerque’s burgeoning burlesque scene.
• The Coen brothers begin shooting their modern west crime drama No Country For Old Men (based on the novel by Cormac McCarthy) in May. The film is lensed in Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Las Vegas. Eventually, it will win four Oscars, including Best Picture.
• The iPhone is released by Apple.
• Private security contractor Blackwater USA is found to have recklessly used deadly force in Iraq.
• Republican Sen. Larry Craig finds himself arrested for lewd conduct in an airport restroom. He later tells the press that “I have never been gay.”
• “Mad Men” premieres on AMC in July. It is the first and only basic cable series to win the Emmy for Outstanding Drama—an honor it has claimed every year since its debut.
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
Con-Jikan at MCM Elegante Hotel
Enjoy a costume contest, masquerade, the artist's alley, dealer's hall, video gaming, tabletop games, panels and more.
Dark Tranquillity • melodic death metal• Swallow the Sun • doom metal • Enforcer • Starkill at Launchpad
WinterFest at Los Alamos Mesa Public LibraryMore Recommended Events ››