Best Radio Personality: Donnie Chase
• In honor of the the First Amendment and the Fourth of July, the Alibi hosts a free speech rally in the Fourth Street Mall called “Soap Box: A Festival of Opinions.” The crawls run their course, and Fall Crawl is our last. We try to wrangle APD into conducting a test on sprays that are said to make your license plate invisible to red-light cameras. No luck. The Alibi runs a tribute to Canada, eh, and a feature on how to eat the city’s weeds. Virginia Lovliere Hampton pens a great essay on being black in the Southwest called “Can I Touch Your Hair?”
Best Traditional Haiku:
—Carol Moscrip, 2007
• Adult film fest “Pornotopia” gets in trouble with the law before it even starts, and the city cites organizers for zoning code violations at Guild Cinema.
• The first annual New Mexico Burlesque Showcase (later renamed Southwest Burlesque Showcase) bumps-and-grinds its way into the KiMo Theatre, a historic venue for Albuquerque’s burgeoning burlesque scene.
• The Coen brothers begin shooting their modern west crime drama No Country For Old Men (based on the novel by Cormac McCarthy) in May. The film is lensed in Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Las Vegas. Eventually, it will win four Oscars, including Best Picture.
• The iPhone is released by Apple.
• Private security contractor Blackwater USA is found to have recklessly used deadly force in Iraq.
• Republican Sen. Larry Craig finds himself arrested for lewd conduct in an airport restroom. He later tells the press that “I have never been gay.”
• “Mad Men” premieres on AMC in July. It is the first and only basic cable series to win the Emmy for Outstanding Drama—an honor it has claimed every year since its debut.
Annual Winter Solstice Concert at First United Methodist Church
Bach Violin Concerto in A minor, Cantata BWV 151, a selection of beautiful Renaissance motets of the season and recent music from Irsee Monastery in Bavaria.
A Night in the '40s: Big Band Swing at New Mexico Veterans Memorial
So Sophisticated • DJ 12 Tribe at SkyLightMore Recommended Events ››