Best Haiku About Michael Jackson:
—Hakim Bellamy, 2009
• We call out insensitive local coverage of violence against transgender people. The facilitator of a support group, says: “ ... They still had the right to live. And referring to them as victims, I think, would have been more appropriate.” Office Manager Martin Candelaria, a big guy with a bigger heart, dies on March 23. During our visit to the top water-wasting residential addresses in the city, we’re surprised to see a state senator answer the door. News Editor Marisa Demarco tracks down an elusive real-life superhero named Green Scorpion who patrols New Mexico and Arizona looking for villains. We throw our first wine-tasting event, as well as our first Pre-Pride Glam Dance Party.
Best Local Brewery: Marble Brewery
• The fresh paint has scarcely dried in the Oval Office when Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize.
• The country’s first Hispanic Supreme Court justice, Sonia Sotomayor, is sworn in.
• The ’80-era rock bar Hofbrau Lounge (known in its final days as Penn Station) is bulldozed.
• New Mexico thoroughbred Mine That Bird defies huge odds (50-to-1, to be exact) to win the Kentucky Derby. He finishes second in the 2009 Preakness Stakes and third in the 2009 Belmont Stakes. They’re making a feature film about him in 2012. It’s being shot right here in New Mexico.
• Michael Jackson dies at age 50.
• Mayor Richard Berry is elected.
Her at University of New Mexico
A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with his newly purchased operating system that's designed to meet his every need.
Turkey Trek at Albuquerque Balloon Museum
Bob Andrews at Adobe Bar at the Historic Taos InnMore Recommended Events ››