Best Haiku About Michael Jackson:
—Hakim Bellamy, 2009
• We call out insensitive local coverage of violence against transgender people. The facilitator of a support group, says: “ ... They still had the right to live. And referring to them as victims, I think, would have been more appropriate.” Office Manager Martin Candelaria, a big guy with a bigger heart, dies on March 23. During our visit to the top water-wasting residential addresses in the city, we’re surprised to see a state senator answer the door. News Editor Marisa Demarco tracks down an elusive real-life superhero named Green Scorpion who patrols New Mexico and Arizona looking for villains. We throw our first wine-tasting event, as well as our first Pre-Pride Glam Dance Party.
Best Local Brewery: Marble Brewery
• The fresh paint has scarcely dried in the Oval Office when Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize.
• The country’s first Hispanic Supreme Court justice, Sonia Sotomayor, is sworn in.
• The ’80-era rock bar Hofbrau Lounge (known in its final days as Penn Station) is bulldozed.
• New Mexico thoroughbred Mine That Bird defies huge odds (50-to-1, to be exact) to win the Kentucky Derby. He finishes second in the 2009 Preakness Stakes and third in the 2009 Belmont Stakes. They’re making a feature film about him in 2012. It’s being shot right here in New Mexico.
• Michael Jackson dies at age 50.
• Mayor Richard Berry is elected.
22nd Annual César Chávez Day Celebration at National Hispanic Cultural Center
Featuring a march, a family fiesta with children's activities, community awards, exhibits, food and live performances.
The People's Champions Tour: Immortal Technique • Talib Kweli • rap, hip-hop at Sunshine Theater
Holbrook/Twain at Guild CinemaMore Recommented Events ››