Best Haiku About Mayor Berry:
—Richard Groot, 2010
• Correspondent Maren Tarro pens an account of the Tax Day Tea Party in Washington, D.C. We write a cover story wondering what the hell is wrong with Arizona given its anti-immigration bill SB 1070 and attack on ethnic studies. We also report on Mayor Berry inviting la migra into the jail to investigate people who’ve been arrested—before they’ve been convicted of any wrongdoing. Columnist Ben Radford goes on a hunt for Loch Ness in Scotland.
Best City Politician: Mayor Martin Chavez
• Dripping rainbows appear on the sides of buildings around town.
• Copwatch re-forms as the city grows concerned about a spate of officer-involved shootings. Over the course of 2010, APD officers are involved in the shootings of 14 civilians, including a suicidal 25-year-old Iraq War veteran.
• The Duke City Wheelmen Foundation fights to preserve ghost bikes, descansos that aim to draw attention to the preventable deaths of bicyclists.
• Marvel Studios’ live-action adaptation of Thor begins shooting in March. Though set in the fictional New Mexico town of Puente Antiguo, it is shot mostly in the Galisteo area outside Santa Fe.
• The iPad is released by Apple.
• A BP rig explosion and subsequent oil gush kills workers and sullies the Gulf of Mexico. Fishermen in Grand Isle, La., outline the immediate economic impact for the Alibi in a story by intern Patrick Lohmann, who traveled there in the wake of the disaster.
• The world shudders as beleaguered Haiti suffers a devastating earthquake.
• President Obama repeals Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.
• The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act passes.
• Republican Susana Martinez beats Lt. Gov. Diane Denish in a historic race that includes a total of zero third-party or independent candidates on the ballot.
• A state governmental transparency website is finally launched.
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
Duke it Out at Builders Source Appliance Gallery
Live cooking competition for Albuquerque's finest chefs benefiting El Ranchito de los Ninos, a home for children whose parents are unable to care for them.
Ice Nine Kills • metal at Blu Phoenix Venue
Stories in the Sky at Anderson-Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon MuseumMore Recommended Events ››