• The Alibi starts throwing themed Group Hug parties, including the likes of: Monster Paws, LOW ON HIGH, The Hi Lo Tones, The Ladies’ Society of Grenadiers, Le Chat Lunatique, Mondo Vibrations and many more. Nurse columnist Whitny Doyle profiles a funding debate taking place over the state’s only residential treatment center for drug-addicted pregnant women. On the 10th anniversary of the war in Afghanistan, the longest in American history, we run all the names of U.S. troops who’ve been killed.
Best Food Haiku:
—Ray Tokuda, 2011
• A cold snap in February forces the New Mexico Gas Company to cut service to thousands of residents.
• Summer skies turn apocalypse yellow with smoke from Arizona and the huge Las Conchas fire near Los Alamos.
• The KiMo Theatre sign is restored to its historic glory.
Best City Politician: Mayor Richard Berry
• Public access channel provider Quote … Unquote, Inc. sees its 30-year contract revoked.
• The Arab Spring ignites in Tunisia and ripples across the Middle East.
• Occupy Wall Street puts economic disparity at the forefront of the U.S. political conversation.
• Osama bin Laden is tracked down and killed by a secretive U.S. special ops force.
• Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords survives a mass shooting in Tucson.
• Japan is hit with a strong earthquake, followed by a tsunami that causes a nuclear plant meltdown.
• Voters run red-light cameras out of town.
• Joss Whedon’s cinematic take on The Avengers starts shooting Downtown, directly across the street from the Alibi offices. He attends a psychedelic ice cream social we throw at Launchpad. The historic Kress building is used as a stand-in for Captain America’s boxing gym. The sequence is raced into theaters to serve as a post-credits “teaser” in Captain America: The First Avenger.
• Gov. Martinez puts film incentives on the chopping block and embarks on a spree of bill-vetoing.