Ted and Jose's Bacon Ice Cream Adventure
Pastry Chef Ted Nicely recently dropped me an e-mail to report that his new boss, Chef Douglas Rodriguez at Miami's OLA Steak, had commissioned an item that might interest me. According to Ted, Rodriquez said,"Niceley, want to do something for me?" To which he replied,"Yes, Chef.” "Make me a bacon ice cream, a really smoky, not sweet bacon ice cream.” So Nicely and a colleague came up with the following recipe. It's not on the menu yet, but word is that the ice cream is to be part of a savory dish, not a dessert.
12 oz, bacon, diced
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (no fake stuff please)
8 egg yolks
1) Cook bacon over medium-low heat. Don't get too much color on it (no burning it or the fat; you want the ice cream white). After cooking, strain the fat from the bacon and reserve both.
2) Prepare a crème anglaise: In a large saucepan, bring milk, heavy cream, cooked bacon and maple syrup to a boil.
3) Remove from the heat, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for at least 1 hour. Then remove the plastic wrap and bring back to a boil.
4) In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk egg yolks together. Pour boiling cream mixture onto the yolks, whisking constantly.
5) Pour everything back into the saucepan, and stir over low heat until it coats the back of the spoon. (This should happen almost right away; the fat from the heavy cream keeps the temperature from dropping very much.)
6) Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a clean, dry container. Put the container in a bigger container (or the sink) with ice water coming halfway up the sides. Cool completely.
7) When the mixture is cool, taste, and add a pinch of salt. You won't believe how this will really bring out the bacon flavor even more!
8) Churn the ice cream according to your ice cream maker's instructions. Scrape into a resealable container and freeze for half an hour before serving.
Supper with Santa at The Shark Reef CafÃ©
Cookie Decorating Class: Gingerbread Houses at Rude Boy Cookies
Habanero Salsa Tasting at Los Poblanos Historic Inn & Organic FarmMore Recommented Events ››