By Maren Tarro
Do you know Escoffier?
Put your food knowledge to the test
Auguste Escoffier's 1903 Le Guide Culinaire is an exhaustive reference of French cuisine. It still serves as a guide to all who seek to create the perfect selle de chevreuil briand (saddle of antelope larded with bear fat, roasted on a bed of vegetables and garnished with pears poached in red wine), as well as a look back into culinary history. If you're feeling confident, try your hand at this quiz that delves deep into the pages of this intimidating tome.
1) Which of the following dishes was served aboard the Amerika to Kaiser Wilhelm II?
a. Gnocchi à la Romaine
c. Coq au vin
d. Soufflé surprise
2) When making calf's foot jelly, what would you use to test the strength of its gelatin?
b. Your finger
3) Which of the following ingredients is not found in mayonnaise?
4) Which forestière ("of the forest") ingredient is called for in entrecôte à la forestière?
a. Morel mushrooms
b. Robin's eggs
c. Pine needles
d. Juniper berries
5) What is aspic?
a. Meat stock gelatin
b. Fish brains
c. Flower pollen
d. Boiled water
6) How many truffles are needed to prepare the decadent truffes à la crème?
a. Four small, brushed truffles
b. Six preserved truffles
c. One pound and 2 ounces raw, peeled truffles
d. As many as you can afford
7) Why do the French eat only one egg for breakfast?
a. Because eggs are expensive in France.
b. Because there is an egg shortage in France.
c. Because one egg is un oeuf.
d. Both a and b
ANSWERS: 1) D. 2) C. 3) B. 4) A. 5) A. 6) C. 7) C. If you don't get it, say it out loud.
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
Coffee Tasting at Prosum Roasters
Try a variety of blends, single origins and espresso.
Savory Saturday: Artisanal Salami and Cheese at Los Poblanos Historic Inn & Organic Farm
Make A Wish Fundraiser Night at Flying Star CaféMore Recommended Events ››