Hybrids, swamp-folk and other Saturday night diversions
Whatever your aural mood, there's bound to be a show happening—on this night in this town—that'll suit your fancy. If you need a refresher on tonight's hybrid instrument smorgasbord, aka A Cabinet of Curiosities, at The Kosmos, peep A Cure for Stockhausen Syndrome and/or this blog. If you're frustrated by the inherent limitations of dead tree space, check out an up-to-the-minute Saturday night show list below. Rock on, y'all.
• Arkansan swampy-folk soul/songwriter Adam Faucett emotes tonight at an all-ages show at The Glitter Factory (2127 Silver SE), along with Carlosaur and The Alchemists. 7 p.m. $5.
• Pay tribute to inimitable local musician Eric Johnson's life by raising money for Casa Esperanza at The Texas Independence Day Party, happening tonight at the Albuquerque Press Club (201 Highland Park Circle). Consume armadillo eggs and Lone Stars while Big Sad Guy, Edith Grove, The Handsome Family, Next Three Miles, Saltine Ramblers, Wildewood, Double Plow, The Jake Leg Three and The Old Main tickle your ears pink. 4 p.m.'til 1 a.m. $25 per person, or $40 a couple. For more info, click.
• Roc the Mic 13—which Alibi columnist Mike Smith wrote about in this week's installment of Last Month in Music—goes down tonight at Evolution Nightclub (6132 Fourth Street NW). 8 p.m. Learn more here.
• Move your body to Gavin Russom's EDM orchestra The Crystal Ark and Rand Larzeny at Sister (409 Central NW) this evening. 9 p.m. 21+. $10. Get tickets here.
• Desert surf purveyor Phantom Lake soundtracks The Mask of the Red Death Masquerade Ball at ArtBar (119 Gold SW) tonight. 9 p.m. 21+. $10.
• Santa Fe-based singer/songwriter (and, yes, former Angry Samoan) Gregg Turner performs at No Fun Dance Party tonight at Blackbird Buvette (509 Central NW). Satellite Sky and DJs Bea and Ms. Stoche spin garage, soul and rock and roll. 10 p.m. 21+. No cover.