APD shot and killed a suspect at Wyoming and Zuni this morning.
Here are the last 38 APD shootings in order.
There was a big marijuana party in Denver yesterday.
Here’s how to clean your bong.
Happy birthday to the Queen of bloody England.
A stowaway teen flew to Hawaii in an airplane’s wheel well.
It’s time for the first post-bombing Boston Marathon.
Here’s what happens when undercover journalists accidentally investigate each other.
Rest in peace, Don Chalmers.
Submit to Reddit’s ABQ spring photo contest.
What’s going on in Albuquerque today? One might ask.
In my opinion, the pygmy loris is the main attraction at the Albuquerque Biopark. He’s in the Nightwatch exhibit.
Gary Johnson's girlie campaign poster.
Rio Rancho wants to make it illegal to feed pigeons.
This guy is going to climb a Chicago skyscraper with a bionic leg.
Handing out razors on Halloween.
Waste the rest of your day on this enormous, UK-centric online dictionary of slang.
The Italian Captain who abandoned the Costa Concordia is suing for wrongful termination.
Scotland Yard is now calling Jimmy Saville Britain's most prolific serial sex offender.
Miguel Bloombito, fake Mayor Bloomberg Twitter account.
On this day in 1946, Robert Mapplethorpe was born.
Three cheers for the Alibi’s very own patriot / arts editor, Sam Adams! His fascinating profile on the Albuquerque-centric AMC show “Breaking Bad”—including candid insights from actors Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn—garnered a second-place spot in the super-competitive 2012 AltWeekly Awards. Take a moment to revisit “Raising Hell in the Land of Enchantment,” then raise a glass of Sam Adams to Sam Adams.
Police union has been giving what some are calling "bounty" to APD officers involved in shootings.
Some guy climbed up the NY Times building.
Just another freaky-looking, lavish-lifestyle-living, money-grubbing evangelical christian family.
Armored truck doors fly open resulting in "snow globe of cash."
Everyone loves a good font.
These guys are dwarves, but they called it "midget-wrestling."
17th century Buddha statue with secrets.
"The parchment is hairy" and other grumpy margin notes by medieval monks.
On this day in 1918 Howard Cosell was born.
Turkey-shapes-made-from-other-food competition. David Byrne entered two.
Tavern Taxi will drive you home for free this weekend if you've had a few drinks. Good for anywhere in Bernalillo County. 999-1400.
Black Friday shopping rage.
Businesses struggle on Lead, and road construction through the holiday season could mean local shops won't survive.
More UFO sightings in New Mexico than usual.
Since the Republicans don't want him, ex-Gov. Gary Johnson might go Libertarian.
Sandiago's Mexican Grill cooks up a Thanksgiving feast for foster kids and their families.
Egyptians protest the military regime.
Journalist talks about her assault in Egypt by riot police.
The world's first full face transplant.
The rogue ad man behind Buy Nothing Day and the Occupy movement.
Changes to the Catholic mass.
Famous people who died in 2011.
The Association of Alternative Newsweeklies announced the winners of its nationwide alt.weekly journalism contest—and three Alibi contributors locked down four awards! Here’s how they did:
• Best Column (circulation under 50,000): Our Miss Diagnosis column, penned by family nurse practitioner Whitny Doyle, took a healthy third place. (“Seduction of a Nurse,” “Robbins Burns Rubbers” and “Life and Death on the Night Shift.”)
• Illustration (circulation under 50,000): Jeff also picked up third place for artwork in the Pacific Northwest Inlander.
Well done and congratulations!
The Association of Alternative Newsweeklies runs a notoriously tough, nationwide alt.weekly journalism contest—and the Alibi is kicking some unprecedented ass in it. This year, more than 88 publications submitted their very best stuff in design and writing categories. Here’s how Albuquerque is representing:
• Alibi restaurant critic and food columnist Ari LeVaux is one of four finalists duking it out for Best Food Writing, circulation under 50,000. (The three stories we submitted: “Le Fooding,” “An Offal Story” and “Chewing the Fat.”) Masticate the competition, Ari!
• Registered nurse and recent UNM family nurse practitioner program graduate Whitny Doyle writes our Miss Diagnosis column. She’s been selected as a finalist for Best Column, circulation under 50,000. (The articles we submitted: “Seduction of a Nurse,” “Robbins Burns Rubbers” and “Life and Death on the Night Shift.”) Draw some blood out there, you phlebotomist!
• Last but not least, Alibi graphic designer Jeff Drew is up for awards in two distinct categories. His cover for Vermont’s Seven Days and illustrations for the Pacific Northwest Inlander are both heavy contenders. Render those other fools into a vanishing point of pain, you X-ACTO knife-wielding art-school murderer!
Revenge bombing in Pakistan may be first of many.
Europe to curtail passport-free travel, stopper immigration.
Robert Krulwich, Radiolab host, gives commencement speech on the future of journalism.
Facebook paid PR firm to smear Google.
Nineteen decapitated bodies found in Durango, Mexico since Monday.
Two cyclists hit by cars Thursday, one dead. Not cool.
NM Forest Service to close several forests due to extreme fire danger.
Murders/suicide in Idaho leaves
Mapfund announces a million in grants to groundbreaking performers.
The Oatmeal instructions for being a bad salesperson.