V.20 No.19 | 5/12/2011
Save the Librarians
Cutting our way to the future won’t work
By Stuart Heady
Rey Garduño, speaking from his place on the City Council dais, asked, “Why are we decimating libraries?” He characterized the situation as “disheartening.”
V.19 No.30 | 7/29/2010
Yet another reason to love dogs: childhood literacy edition
By Anne Artley, fearless intern [ Thu Jul 22 2010 2:05 PM ]
Lassie Come Home and Old Yeller have charmed young readers for generations, but these days, dogs are inspiring kids to read in a different way. Libraries across the nation have started bringing in therapy dogs to help kids practice reading aloud without judgment. And it works. In one Minnesota town, 10 out of 14 kids who read aloud to dogs once a week for seven weeks jumped at least one grade level in reading. The programs can also help kids learn English as well. All breeds can serve as a reading dog. Here in Albuquerque, programs run most Saturdays throughout the library system:
• Cherry Hills Library, 857-8321 1st and 3rd Saturdays, 1-3 p.m.
• East Mountain Library, 281-8508 2nd Saturday, 1-3 p.m.
• Ernie Pyle Library, 256-2065, next is on 7/24, 11 a.m.-noon
• Juan Tabo Library, 291-6260 4th Saturday, 1-3 p.m.
• Los Griegos Library, 761-4020 3rd Thursday, 3-4:30 p.m.
• Main Library , 768-5136 2nd Saturday, 1-3 p.m.
• South Broadway Library, 505-764-1742 Thursdays & Fridays (only 1/12- 5/27), 4 p.m.
• Tony Hillerman Library, 291-6264, 2nd Saturday, 10:30 a.m.
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
NM Black Expo 2 at African American Performing Arts Center
Discuss shared cultural experiences regarding health care advocacy, education advancement, policy advocacy, community development and celebrate Black culture.
Stand-up Comedy Thursdays at Stage @ Santa Ana Star
Spanish Cooking Classes: Summer Recipes at National Hispanic Cultural CenterMore Recommended Events ››