The Daily Word in the black hole of Wikipedia
Following World War I was The Great Emu War of 1932.
Here is a list of sexually active popes throughout history.
I LOVE to make lists. So a List of Lists of Lists is just a thing of beauty.
George W. Bush had special little nicknames for just about everybody.
You just wish you could claim to be part of the Ministry of All the Talents.
Gonna name my firstborn child Noctcaelador.
The classification of demons is not just a list of your exes.
Bonus video: In case you still (post-Grammys) don't know who the Alabama Shakes are.
The Daily Word in ride-sharing rules, AR-15s and Steely Dan
In Alibi-centric news: We clarified our critical and satirical intentions in response to an anti-Ted Nugent missive. Perhaps more importantly, we published loads of excellent new content. If you're saving the print ish for weekend reading, scope highlights like
In other local media news, KRQE News 13 faces backlash from viewers for their description of undocumented immigrants as "illegal immigrants" who carry disease. KUNM reports on the City's new public records fee schedule.
The New Mexico Public Regulation Commission has directed its staff to revamp the rules that impact ride-sharing services like Lyft and Uber. And there was much rejoicing ...
North Valley residents express concern over a proposed waste transfer station.
Have you ever wondered whether sellers of New Mexico properties must disclose natural deaths, homicides or suicides that occurred on premises? The answer is no.
New Mexico lands on another list that's nothing to brag about, being among the top five states with the highest percentage of uninsured residents.
A public relations survey sez Albuquerque is the sixth-most attractive city to border state millennials, owing to its "ethnic, affordable and youthful" vibe.
KOB Eyewitness News 4 reports that APD is all set to purchase 350 AR-15 rifles from a local vendor.
People born on July 10 include Nikola Tesla, Marcel Proust, Tura Satana, Ronnie James Dio, Zoogz Rift and Sofía Vergara.
Fun with stock photos
See images of 40 things that make seniors happy.
Yay for Albuquerque!
NHCC Included in Frommer's Global Must-See List
We all know how amazing NHCC is—beautiful exhibits, fabulous programming, breathtaking premises. And now, if it didn't before, the whole world knows, too. Or at least, the Frommer's-reading world.
In a little feature called "9 Must-See Museum Exhibits Around The World," NHCC is listed among the internationally-
Now. Let's get NMSO on some lists* with the New York Philharmonic and New Mexico Ballet Co noted alongside the Russian National Ballet, and we'll be all set.
* I could make these lists. And I've thought about it. But maybe it would be more thrilling for ABQ if someone outside of the city were to recognize our treasure chest o' glorious cultural riches. Who do you know at the Washington Post? Get on it!
Best and Worst of 2009
The year in New Mexico drugs, murders, scandals and achievements
Best: U.S. Attorney General Tells Feds to Lay Off State-Licensed Growers and Patients
Top 10 Reasons Lists Are the Worst
10. I read most every one I come across.
9. They never have me on them. I have not made any lists. Neither have you, probably. We are nothing if we’re not listed. I’m not even listed in the phone book.
8. Writers are fierce know-it-alls who want their list to be individualized but not too out of step with what other writers are writing. Safety is dull.
7. Will someone please make a list of the worst Top 10 lists?
6. Why do we chunk out time this way anyway? 10 years are just 10 years. I want to see a list of the best movies of the last 17 years.
5. Lists tell what you already know and talk about people who’ve already saturated a layer of your brain. Where’s the list of stuff I don’t know about?
4. Michael Jackson will be on every list. Even unrelated lists. Like, “Top 10 Shapes Most Often Spotted in Hamburger Patties” will have MJ as No. 1.
3. So will Tiger Woods.
2. So will Obama.
1. Lists are reductive.