V.21 No.24 | 6/14/2012
Sony Pictures Television / Ben Leuner
Alibi wins an AltWeekly Award for Sam Adams’ “Breaking Bad” arts feature!
By Laura Marrich [ Mon Jun 11 2012 5:46 PM ]
Three cheers for the Alibi’s very own patriot / arts editor, Sam Adams! His fascinating profile on the Albuquerque-centric AMC show “Breaking Bad”—including candid insights from actors Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn—garnered a second-place spot in the super-competitive 2012 AltWeekly Awards. Take a moment to revisit “Raising Hell in the Land of Enchantment,” then raise a glass of Sam Adams to Sam Adams.
V.20 No.27 | 7/7/2011
You Are Going Down
Alibi contributors pick up 2011 AltWeekly Awards!
By Laura Marrich [ Tue Jul 26 2011 10:08 AM ]
The Association of Alternative Newsweeklies announced the winners of its nationwide alt.weekly journalism contest—and three Alibi contributors locked down four awards! Here’s how they did:
• Best Column (circulation under 50,000): Our Miss Diagnosis column, penned by family nurse practitioner Whitny Doyle, took a healthy third place. (“Seduction of a Nurse,” “Robbins Burns Rubbers” and “Life and Death on the Night Shift.”)
• Illustration (circulation under 50,000): Jeff also picked up third place for artwork in the Pacific Northwest Inlander.
Well done and congratulations!
You Are Going Down
Three Alibi contributors pick up 2011 AltWeekly Awards nominations!
By Laura Marrich [ Tue Jul 5 2011 5:19 PM ]
The Association of Alternative Newsweeklies runs a notoriously tough, nationwide alt.weekly journalism contest—and the Alibi is kicking some unprecedented ass in it. This year, more than 88 publications submitted their very best stuff in design and writing categories. Here’s how Albuquerque is representing:
• Alibi restaurant critic and food columnist Ari LeVaux is one of four finalists duking it out for Best Food Writing, circulation under 50,000. (The three stories we submitted: “Le Fooding,” “An Offal Story” and “Chewing the Fat.”) Masticate the competition, Ari!
• Registered nurse and recent UNM family nurse practitioner program graduate Whitny Doyle writes our Miss Diagnosis column. She’s been selected as a finalist for Best Column, circulation under 50,000. (The articles we submitted: “Seduction of a Nurse,” “Robbins Burns Rubbers” and “Life and Death on the Night Shift.”) Draw some blood out there, you phlebotomist!
• Last but not least, Alibi graphic designer Jeff Drew is up for awards in two distinct categories. His cover for Vermont’s Seven Days and illustrations for the Pacific Northwest Inlander are both heavy contenders. Render those other fools into a vanishing point of pain, you X-ACTO knife-wielding art-school murderer!
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
Naturalist Series: Bats Found Around the World at Bachechi Open Space
Dr. Ernie Valdez from the U.S. Geological Survey discusses different shapes, sizes and colors of bats that occur around the world and their unique behaviors that reflect their amazing morphology.
Night Of The Living Cover Bands • SuperGiant • The Coma Recovery • Crime Lab • The Big Spank at Launchpad
Taste of Rio Rancho at Santa Ana Star CenterMore Recommended Events ››