Brent Bagwell is the reeds player for The Eastern Seaboard, a free jazz trio encased in a no-wave package. Formed, appropriately, in Brooklyn during the early Aughts, the band has since dispersed to other locations and is touring the Wild West in support of its fifth full-length, released on the Italian label Black Saint. The trio plays at the Undermind Collective (1016 Coal SW) on Friday, May 28, at 8 p.m. Below you’ll find five random pieces of Bagwell’s nano’s repertoire.
1) "Shave 'em Wet (to Memphis Minnie)" • Mats Gustafsson and David Stackenäs • Blues
“Man, I was surprised to see this one. I love this record—an extreme baritone sax and guitar duo session produced and mixed by Fugazi's Guy Picciotto. Uncompromising dedication to texture and drama—unlike anything you would expect these two instruments to produce.”
2) "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" • Beyoncé • I Am ... Sasha Fierce
“Yeah, that's right. I have a fascination with Jay-Z and Beyoncé. The world's most powerful couple. Amazing. This is a great song—production and vocals. Have you heard The Blueprint 3? When was the last time a CEO issued a frank (and danceable) statement of his doings? Pretty dope. And they're always sitting ‘court side / Knicks and Nets / give me high fives.’ "
3) "Cache Cache" • Monade • Socialisme ou Barbarie (The Bedroom Recordings)
“So, I'm a confirmed Stereolab junkie and this just makes sense, right? A little Rosie C. with Laetitia singing in that disaffected, French way. Probably about socialism or the struggle against inhumanism. With sweet shakers.”
4) "Zürich Is Stained" • Pavement • Slanted and Enchanted“Yeah! I love this one. It will be in my head all day now—‘you think it's easy / but you're wrong / I am not half of the problem.’ I know he can be overly coy, but I really like Malkmus’ lyrics, and he's an NBA fan! I like Slanted and Enchanted, but my heart truly belongs to Wowee Zowee.”
5) "Nyalima Nyapoi" • S.E. Rogie • Palm Wine Guitar Music
“Several years ago, I started getting into African music and my friend Casey hipped me to Rogie, a legend from Sierra Leone. Some seriously amazing guitar playing—especially the solo acoustic tracks on here. Rogie, Dr. Nico and a host of others have this wonderful, über-musical approach to the guitar that hits the songs from a different angle. Truly great!”