Year in Review: Music
Jeff Drew’s Found Objects
Alibi graphic artist lists his top tracks of the year
By Jeff Drew
1) “Salt in the Wound” • Delta Spirit • History From Below
Nice down-tempo anthem with a bit o' soul.
2) "What's It In For?" • Avi Buffalo • Avi Buffalo
Hard to believe these guys are fresh outta high school. I look forward to future releases.
3) “The Sun Goes All Around” • Thee Oh Sees • Dog Poison
Some psychedelic s*%t that sounds like it was recorded in 1967.
4) “Long Division Blues” • Peggy Sue • Fossils and Other Phantoms
A druggy little folk song that starts soft and picks up along the way.
5) “Fountain Stairs” • Deerhunter • Halcyon Digest
The guitar in this song weaves such a pretty pattern in the background.
6) “Brightest Minds” • Department of Eagles • Archive 2003-2006
A song that manages to be cheery and eerie at the same time.
7) “Daddy Wrote You Letters ...” • Pearly Gate Music • Pearly Gate Music
Love when the drums come in—"Boom, Pop, Boom Pop-Pop." A sweet slice of Americana.
8) “Sheep” • Gonjasufi • A Sufi and a Killer
An eccentric gem. Has a weird ’60s Middle Eastern vibe with awesome female backing vocals.
9) “Four Dreams” • Jesca Hoop • Hunting My Dress
A regular rattle box of rhythms. Playful vocals play double Dutch all over this mutha.
10) “You Were Never There” • Diego Garcia • You Were Never There
A chilled out upbeat song with strings. I'm especially fond of the "Hoos" and "Hos" shouted in the background.
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
Tanya Tagaq • electronic, experimental at The Lensic
Open Mic Jam Night with Dave and Friends at Lizard Tail Brewing
Blue Grass Jam Band • bluegrass at DerailedMore Recommended Events ››