Year in Review: Music
Jeff Drew’s Found Objects
Alibi graphic artist lists his top tracks of the year
By Jeff Drew
1) “Salt in the Wound” • Delta Spirit • History From Below
Nice down-tempo anthem with a bit o' soul.
2) "What's It In For?" • Avi Buffalo • Avi Buffalo
Hard to believe these guys are fresh outta high school. I look forward to future releases.
3) “The Sun Goes All Around” • Thee Oh Sees • Dog Poison
Some psychedelic s*%t that sounds like it was recorded in 1967.
4) “Long Division Blues” • Peggy Sue • Fossils and Other Phantoms
A druggy little folk song that starts soft and picks up along the way.
5) “Fountain Stairs” • Deerhunter • Halcyon Digest
The guitar in this song weaves such a pretty pattern in the background.
6) “Brightest Minds” • Department of Eagles • Archive 2003-2006
A song that manages to be cheery and eerie at the same time.
7) “Daddy Wrote You Letters ...” • Pearly Gate Music • Pearly Gate Music
Love when the drums come in—"Boom, Pop, Boom Pop-Pop." A sweet slice of Americana.
8) “Sheep” • Gonjasufi • A Sufi and a Killer
An eccentric gem. Has a weird ’60s Middle Eastern vibe with awesome female backing vocals.
9) “Four Dreams” • Jesca Hoop • Hunting My Dress
A regular rattle box of rhythms. Playful vocals play double Dutch all over this mutha.
10) “You Were Never There” • Diego Garcia • You Were Never There
A chilled out upbeat song with strings. I'm especially fond of the "Hoos" and "Hos" shouted in the background.
Open Mic Night! at Dirty Bourbon
Altan • Irish, folk at KiMo Theatre
Mairéad and Dáithí • Irish, folk at Main LibraryMore Recommented Events ››