Mike Giant is a visionary tattoo and graffiti artist who, although born in Upstate New York, grew up in Albuquerque. On Sunday, June 10, the San Francisco-based Giant makes an appearance in Downtown Albuquerque at the Blackbird Buvette (509 Central NW). He’s presenting a tea party for his zine, “The Skullz Press.” There will be art for sale, giveaways from his apparel and skateboard company, Rebel8, and ambience provided by Austin-based DJ Daze. The free, 21-and-over party happens from 3 to 7 p.m.
We asked Mr. Giant to play Song Roulette. Here are the random results.
1) "Smoky Places" • The Corsairs • “Smoky Places / Thinkin’ ” 45 single
“I love oldies and this one kills it. I've spent a lot of time in smoky places looking for love.”
2) “See Mi Yah (Hallucinator Remix)” • Hallucinator with Willi Williams • Rhythm & Sound
“I'm a marijuana smoker and I love to listen to this kind of thing when I'm feeling irie. I love dub.”
3) "Beret and Pancakes” • Mitch Hedberg • Strategic Grill Locations
“This still makes me laugh out loud by myself. I wish Mitch was still around.”
4) "Cashing In” • Minor Threat • Out of Step
“I got hip to Minor Threat when I was a teenager in Albuquerque and I've loved their music ever since. It doesn't get much more classic than Minor Threat as far as I'm concerned.”
5) "Revelation on the Banks of The Pawtuxent" • John Fahey • The Dance of Death & Other Plantation Favorites
“I love slide guitar. This song reminds me of hanging out with my friend Luke Hudson in Albuquerque in the early ’90s. He used to drink whiskey and play his guitar along with a weekly blues show that was on KUNM. Luke passed away a few years ago, so this song has a lot of emotional impact to me.”
Bob Tate • solo piano at Vernon’s Hidden Valley Steakhouse
Wildewood • indie, Americana at Canteen BrewhouseMore Recommented Events ››