Answer Me This
By Amy Dalness
A dozen Tasmanian devils cost how much? What was Big Bill's first action off the campaign trail? What were those two guys from Chaparral thinking? What will UNM do to raise graduation rates?
1) How much will the Albuquerque Biological Park spend to purchase a dozen Tasmanian devils from Australia?
b. $500 each
c. $1,000 each
d. $10,000 a dozen
2) Besides a big welcome back ceremony in the Roundhouse, what was Gov. Bill Richardson's first headline-grabbing action after ending his presidential run?
a. He plans to seek the vice presidency.
b. He endorsed a Democratic primary candidate.
c. He blocked drilling in the Galisteo Basin.
d. He called to the Legislature to pass universal health care.
3) Two men in Chaparral, N.M., were injured while giving themselves a tattoo of what?
a. A machete
b. A rose
c. A fluffy bunny
d. A gun
4) What actions are the University of New Mexico regents considering to raise graduation rates?
a. Offer more scholarships
b. Raise the price of tuition
c. Give Lobo Louie dolls to those who make the Dean's List
d. Raise admission standards
1) A. While the New Mexico BioPark Society, a nonprofit organization, will foot the bill to fly the little devils from Australia to Albuquerque (at a cost of between $10,000 and $20,000 according to Tom Silva, deputy director of the BioPark), the Tasmanian devils themselves cost nothing. Their habitat, however, cost the city $300,000 to build.
2) C. The day after taking his name off the Democratic ballot for president, Gov. Richardson imposed a six-month moratorium on oil and natural gas drilling in the Galisteo Basin north of Santa Fe. Gov. Richardson is also backing a universal health care bill in this Legislative Session, but the move didn't garner headlines until a few days later.
3) D. Robert Glasser and Joey Acosta, both 22, were treated for non life-threatening gunshot wounds after using a loaded .357-caliber Magnum as a pattern for a tattoo. One bullet injured both men.
4) D. The UNM regents propose to increase the average grade point average for admission from 2.25 to 2.5 in the fall of 2009, then to 2.75 in the fall of 2010. Other topics in the proposal include increasing the number of college prep classes required, raising scholarship standards and requiring freshmen to live on campus.
91st Burning of Will Shuster's Zozobra at Fort Marcy Park
Zozobra is a unique cultural event staged each year by the Kiwanis Club of Santa Fe as a fiery and exciting kick-off to the annual Fiestas de Santa Fe.
Beyond Meditation: Community HU Chant at Eckankar Center
Free Yoga Classes at forever YOGAMore Recommented Events ››