Answer Me This
By Simon McCormack
What caused a mess in Northern New Mexico? What hideous offense happened at the Animal Humane New Mexico shelter? What killed an Albuquerque man? Which city is off to the races?
1) Two municipalities in Northern New Mexico were hit by ...
a. Hurricane-strength winds
b. Brush fires
c. Major flooding
d. Mud monsters
e. a and c
2) Police are searching for a burglar who broke into an animal shelter and ...
a. Sexually abused a female dog
b. Ate a kitten
c. Beat several dogs and burned other animals
d. a and c
3) An autopsy shows a man died from ...
a. A poisoned drink given to him by a close relative
b. Heart failure on his wedding day
c. Dehydration after a marathon
d. The S.W.A.T. team's "non-lethal tactics"
4) The New Mexico Racing Commission decided to give which community a license to build a race track?
a. Santa Fe
1) C. Cimarron and Tent Rock had to contend with major flooding Saturday, Aug. 30. No evacuations were ordered, but cleaning up the mess from the flooding is expected to take a few days.
2) A. Police are on the lookout for a burglar who broke into the Animal Humane New Mexico shelter in southeast Albuquerque and sexually abused a female dog. The break-in was the latest of several burglaries at the shelter during April, July and August. The Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department is investigating the incident.
3) D. An autopsy says a man was killed by a series of "non-lethal tactics" employed by the Albuquerque Police Department's S.W.A.T. team. During the standoff, police say the man waved around two guns and shot one of APD's robots. Officers responded by spraying him with tear gas and pepper spray, striking at him with wooden batons and spraying him with high-pressure water. The man was also bitten by a dog and shocked with a Taser. APD spokesperson John Walsh says officers repeatedly withdrew from the standoff to give the man time to calm down, but he never did. The conflict lasted 10 hours.
4) B. The state racing commission awarded its sixth and final race track and casino license to Raton. The town will set to work building a $50 million facility, which will create 300 permanent jobs. Raton was competing with Santa Fe and Tucumcari for the commission's final license. The horses will reach the starting gate in the summer of 2010.
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
Petroglyph Pláticas: Revolution, Renaissance and Transformation at Oñate Monument and Visitors Center
Sharman Russell speaks about the new world of citizen science.
Herbalism Series 2 at SourceMore Recommended Events ››