Answer Me This
Which Major League slugger is coming to Albuquerque? Why are shelter dogs wagging their tails? What type of bones were found in Valencia County? What does APS data reveal about poorer schools?
1) Which big leaguer will take a few trips to the plate as an Isotope?
a. Derek Jeter
b. Manny Ramirez
c. Matt Kemp
d. David Ortiz
2) Dogs at an animal shelter in Las Cruces got what bit of good news?
a. Close to 200 puppies were taken home after an adoption event.
b. There will be no more pooches euthanized this year at the shelter.
c. More than 50 dogs won't have to be killed after all.
d. All the canines will get higher quality food thanks to a new ordinance.
3) What type of remains were discovered near Belen?
4) APS schools in poorer districts have which of the following?
a. The lowest-paid teachers
b. Higher rates of student violence
c. Worse school bus service
d. Cooler mascots
1) B. Dodgers all-star outfielder Manny Ramirez is scheduled to play at least three games in an Albuquerque Isotopes uniform. Ramirez is nearing the end of his 50-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's substance-abuse policy. He needs to sharpen his game before making a return to the big leagues. Dodgers top brass say Ramirez will likely play in the first three games of a four-game series that began Tuesday, June 23, at Isotopes Park.
2) C. Plans to euthanize more than 50 dogs at a Las Cruces animal shelter have been canceled. The homeless animals were going to be killed to make room for pit bulls who are being held as evidence in an ongoing dog-fighting case. Dona Ana County Sheriff Todd Garrison says donations made by the public will allow the pit bulls to be housed elsewhere.
3) D. Bones found near Belen belonged to a bear, according to the state Office of the Medical Investigator. The office says there are only four minor differences between bear and human remains. Horseback riders noticed the bones on Sunday, June 21.
4) A. Data collected by Albuquerque Public Schools shows less-experienced, lower-paid teachers tend to work at poorer schools. Rose-Ann McKernan, director of APS Research, Development and Accountability, says as soon as teachers in low-income areas get experience, they often leave to take jobs at more affluent schools.
NEWSLETTERS Great Alibi stories, events and deals delivered to your inbox each week. No fooling!
NM Black Expo 2 at Embassy Suites Hotel
Discuss shared cultural experiences regarding health care advocacy, education advancement, policy advocacy, community development and celebrate Black culture.
Mountainair Sunflower Festival at Dr. Saul Community Center
National Dog Day at Cottonwood MallMore Recommended Events ››