Answer Me This
1) Primary gubernatorial candidate Allen Weh (R) could personally profit from which policy?
a. Tax breaks for Wal-Marts in small towns
b. Tax breaks for companies offering green jobs
c. A harsh anti-immigration stance
d. Open meetings for all governmental agencies
2) Who arrested his or her primary opponent?
a. Manny Gonzales
b. Susana Martinez
c. Lawrence Rael
d. Diane Denish
3) New Mexico has a closed primary system, wherein only voters registered as Democrats and Republicans can cast ballots. How many states have some form of open primary system?
4) How long did it take Lt. Gov. Diane Denish (D) to raise $464,000?
a. Six months
b. Three weeks
c. 10 days
d. Two years
1) C. The Huffington Post reported that Weh's company, CSI Aviation Services, Inc., contracts with the feds to provide deportation flights. Contracts with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have given Weh's aviation company more than $218 million in the last five years, according to the article.
2) A. Sheriff Manny Gonzales arrested opponent Joshua Timberman, a candidate for sheriff in the Democratic primary. Timberman says he wanted to clear up a bench warrant and met with Gonzales at a coffee shop. He was arrested, handcuffed and hauled away in a patrol car. Gonzales says Timberman called and asked to be arrested, and Timberman says he didn't.
3) D. Seventeen states have open primaries, though what "open" means can vary. For instance, in West Virginia, Republicans hold a closed primary while Democrats allow unaffiliated voters and independents to participate. Many states specify that in a runoff, voters can’t switch parties in the second round. North Dakota has no voter registration, according to archive.fairvote.org, and voters need only prove they've been residents for at least 30 days.
4) B. From May 4 to May 25, Denish's campaign drew $464,000. At the end of May, her war chest had reached $2.65 million.
Junior Zookeeper Day Camp at Wildlife West
Certified teachers and experienced zookeepers teach children, 8-12 years, about zoo keeping techniques, animal enrichment, basic biology of native wildlife and plants.
Design Camp at Albuquerque Museum of Art and History
Near North Valley Neighborhood Association Annual Meeting at Indian Pueblo Cultural CenterMore Recommended Events ››