Crib Notes: Nov. 21, 2013
By August March
1) Albuquerque Public Schools has had its share of troubled superintendents. Besides the sad communications and domestic antics of current public schools chief Winston Brooks, what other holders of this esteemed office have had careers at APS that ended in failure and tragedy?
a) Brad Allison and Joe Vigil
b) The Donner Party
c) Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie
d) Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu
2) What major newspaper referred to Albuquerque as “a high-desert city in one of poorest states in the nation” in a news story reporting on the upcoming abortion-ban vote?
a) The Hindustan Times
b) The Seattle Post-Intelligencer
c) The Los Angeles Times
d) The South Wales Echo
3) On Friday, the San Francisco Gate reported that Homeland Security
20th Century Fox
Officers in Albuquerque busted two dudes for possession of 22 pounds of
a) Pale blue-colored meth crystals
b) Peruvian marching powder
d) Bug powder
4) At this past weekend’s last home game, the Lobo football team
UNM Center for Southwest Research
a) rebelled against the administration and formed a dance club
b) was transported into another dimension
c) triumphed over the University of Alabama Crimson Tide
5) Daily Lobo theater critic Graham Gentz flamed another local production last week in a manner not unlike the acidic produce of which notorious New York Magazine columnist?
a) Roger Ebert
b) Gene Siskel
c) Gene Ween
d) John Simon
2) C. In a report published on Nov. 16, 2013, LA Times reporter Cindy Carcamo begins her story on the abortion ordinance with a lead describing us geographically and economically.
3) B. The Gate reports that a cocaine buy in the “I-25-Montano” area yielded 22 pounds of the white stuff, $134 thousand in cash bills and two alleged criminals.
4) D. The Lobos lost their last home game of the season to Colorado State, 66 to 42.
5) D. John Ivan Simon is known for his memorably acidic reviews, was banned from some venues and ultimately was dismissed from New York Magazine after 36 years as its chief theater critic. Now he writes for a paper in Yonkers.
Mayor & First Lady's Charity Gala at Albuquerque Convention Center
Annual charity event to raise funds for local nonprofits focused on student success and/or entrepreneurship. Black tie formal.
Hula Hustle 5K at Albuquerque Academy
An Alternative Treatment Approach to Osteoporosis at OsteoStrongMore Recommented Events ››