Crib Notes: Dec. 5, 2013
By August March
1) What 1962 filmic adaptation of an Edward Abbey story about a fictionalized Burque features Carroll O’Connor as a trucker hauling a load of toilets into town?
United Artists Television
a) Mourning Becomes Electra
b) I Walk Alone
c) Lonely Are the Brave
d) Saturn 3
2) Which Steely Dan tune imagines the survivor of a nuclear holocaust sending his final transmission via ham radio, from somewhere in New Mexico?
a) “Through with Buzz”
b) “King of the World”
c) “Glamour Profession”
d) “Your Gold Teeth”
3) What was the name of the province that Coronado and his soldiers invaded after sacking Hawikuh and heading west into the Rio Grande Valley?
Coronado National Memorial
4) The first generation of American astronauts trained in Albuquerque because ______________________?
a) one of the inventors of the pressure suit, a fellow named Lovelace, had a research lab set up near the Air Force base.
b) scientists wanted the Earthling spacemen to become familiar with the extraterrestrial delegation stationed at the Air Force base.
c) it was hoped exposure to fresh green chile would quicken the men’s reflexes.
d) science, bitches.
5) Which of the following MLB all-stars once rocked an Albuquerque Dukes uniform?
a) Orel Hershiser
b) Darryl Strawberry
c) Davey Lopes
d) All of the above
1) C. Lonely Are the Brave had a sad and ironic subplot featuring Carroll O’Connor in a pivotal role.
2) B. “King of the World”!
3) A. Coronado and his expedition made war on the people of Tiguex during the fall and winter of 1540.
4) A. Randolph Lovelace was instrumental in the development of technology that allowed humans to live and work in hostile environments. After the war, he moved from Dayton to Albuquerque. The rest, as they say, is history.
5) D. Hershiser played here in 1982. He went 9-6 and had a 3.71 ERA. Strawberry got sent down from the Dodgers as part of his rehab in 1993. He hit .316 and had two RBIs for the Dukes that season. Lopes played on the 1972 PCL championship team managed by Tommy Lasorda.
Garden Bug Crafts Class at Loma Colorado Public Library
Going Down Like a Pro: Tips for Pleasuring the V at Self Serve
Homeopathy for Summer Symptoms: An Introduction at The Birkmayer instituteMore Recommented Events ››