- Guard your identity.
- Set up a new email address that doesn’t use your real name using Google, Yahoo or any other free email service—both for creating and responding to ads.
- Don’t provide personal information to anyone until you feel comfortable.
- Go slow and trust your instincts.
- Beware of people who ask for money.
- Beware of people who talk about fate, claim to be recently widowed, or are inconsistent about their personal details.
- Always meet in public the first time. Bring your cell phone, have your own transportation, tell friends where you are going and don’t leave your personal items unattended.
For more tips, visit wiredsafety.org.