Food for the Soul
Nothing inspires verse quite like the bounty of nature, and this Saturday, May 26, more than 100 lyricists converge on the banks of the Rio Grande for A Poet’s Picnic. This celebration of poetry, and the exchange of inspirations among artists of all stripes brings not just poets, but book vendors, calligraphers and musicians together for the day of creativity. The picnic begins at the Albuquerque Open Space Visitors Center at 10am and the recitation won’t stop until 4pm. Bring a blanket and a snack, the rest is totally free. (Maggie Grimason)
Saturday May 26, 2018
Albuquerque, NM 87120
Contact:Albuquerque Open Space Visitor Center
More events at
Over 100 local poets come together for a day of spoken word poetry. Enjoy Bébé La La, a calligraphy exhibit, demonstrations and workshops and book sales by local presses.
A day of art, music, and poetry at the Open Space Visitor Center
A day of art, music, and poetry on the lovely grounds of the Open Space Visitor Center, overlooking 18 acres of farmland, the Rio Grande’s bosque and the Sandia Mountains! Albuquerque’s calligraphy society Escribiente, the New Mexico Book Arts Guild Libros, the New Mexico State Poetry Society (NMSPS), the Open Space Alliance, and over 100 local poets have come together for this unique art exhibit and day of spoken word poetry. The event features a special musical performance by Albuquerque’s own Bébé La La, a calligraphy art exhibit, demonstrations and workshops, and book sales by local presses including Village Books Press, Beatlick Press, and Dos Gatos Press. Bring a picnic lunch and spend a day with some of New Mexico’s most talented poets and calligraphers in a stunning outdoor setting!
*Schedule of activities:
- ONGOING: Weathergram calligraphy exhibit throughout the grounds of the Visitor Center. Escribiente members will illustrate over 150 poems written by local poets and hang them on trees in the form of weathergrams, or “weather writings” as a temporary art installation.
- 11:30am -3:00pm: Escribiente calligraphy demonstrations and Weathergram demos. Escribiente members will be on hand to demonstrate calligraphy and show how Weathergrams are made.
- 12:00 -12:45pm: Picnic on the patio with a musical performance by Bébé La La.
- 1:00-2:30pm: Poetry reading and open mic featuring poets Tina Carlson, John Macker, and Scott Wiggerman.
- 2:30-4:00pm: Poetry reading and open mic featuring poets Dorothy Alexander, Jesse Ehrenberg, and Dale Harris.
*Schedule is subject to change
Escribiente will be producing a limited number of hand-bound Poets Picnic chapbooks, available for sale the day of the Picnic. These will be sold at $10.00. These proceeds will go toward the Open Space Alliance.