A group of exorcists gathered last weekend to pray in an attempt to counter a “hex” cast on Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh by a group of witches. According to ABC News, the hex was cast in response to Kavanaugh's confirmation following allegations that he sexually assaulted a classmate in high school. According to the event's Facebook page, the hex was aimed at Kavanaugh, “all rapists and the patriarchy at large which emboldens, rewards and protects them.” The ritual was performed at Catland Books in Brooklyn, and tickets were $10. Participants were asked to “bring your rage and all of the axes you've got to grind.” The hex was followed by “The Rites of the Scorned One,” a ritual intended to “validate, affirm, uphold and support those of us who have been wronged and who refuse to be silent any longer.” Following the event's announcement, the National Catholic Register spoke to Father Gary Thomas, the exorcist for the Diocese of San Jose, who held Mass to protect Kavanaugh. He said the threat of a curse was “not something that is make believe.” He went on to say that “people in a state of grace” are usually unaffected by curses, but others might suffer physical illness, psychosis, depression or be accosted by demons. He did not comment on whether Kavanaugh was in a state of grace, or not.
A family realized they'd buried the wrong body months ago after their missing relative showed up safe and sound last week. In August, a man died in a hospital after an ambulance driver saw him fall on a sidewalk, reports BBC News. Police called a family who had been searching for a missing relative to identify the body. Authorities believe the family mistakenly confirmed the wrong identity and police released the body into their custody. Earlier this month, however, the missing relative returned alive, leading police to search for the identity of the man who was buried. Although the coroner's office has yet to confirm it, the man has been tentatively identified as Toronto pianist Scott Cushnie. Andrea Reid, longtime friend to Cushnie said she recognized some of his effects, though, and is looking forward to receiving closure.
A sex doll rental company is now offering to make replicas of grieving clients' dead loved ones. The company's owner, Jade Stanley, says she thought of the concept after researching the industry and finding most of the synthetic sex dolls on the market were presented “in a more sexualized way.” She told The Sun that she believed the dolls could be used not only to comfort grieving partners, but also to help socialize those suffering from social anxiety. They can also be used by anyone looking to experiment sexually without involving actual people, she said. The dolls, which can be custom fitted through an online order form, are delivered in a large box by a trusted courier to the client's front door. When the dolls are returned, they are cleaned thoroughly and the artificial vagina is removed and replaced.
A high school student allegedly served cookies laced with the ashes of her dead grandfather to classmates, and police are unsure of how to react. According to The Washington Post, a student at Da Vinci Charter Academy in Davis, Calif., allegedly brought the cookies to school Oct. 4 and gave them to at least nine other students, some of whom allegedly were aware of the contents before eating them. Some were unaware that the cookies had been made with human remains, however, and were reportedly traumatized by the event. Authorities are waiting on test results to confirm that the cookies really did contain the relative's ashes. Police decided not to press charges for improper disposal of human remains, but might apply public nuisance charges. In a letter to families at the school, Principal Tyler Millsap wrote, “I can say that those who were involved are remorseful and this is now a personal family matter and we want to respect the privacy of the families involved.” There have been no ill effects reported by those who ate the cookies, and no motive for the act has been established.
After receiving a torrent of complaints, officials in the Michigan city of Portland are reminding Facebook users that it's not Portland, Ore. In a post published on the City of Portland, Michigan's Facebook page, City Manager Tutt Gorman said that there had been an “aggressive spike” in complaints mistakenly sent to them last week. He said the “highly inappropriate complaints and messages” were “clearly not directed at our PPD and certainly not reflective of our residents.” According to The Washington Post, Gorman serves a city with a population of less than 4,000. There are only eight officers on its police force. Gorman said the complaints were “apparently involving civil unrest and Antifa groups shutting down streets.” This is in reference to protests in Oregon after a Portland officer shot and killed a black suspect last month. Since the influx of messages, the city's Facebook page was renamed “ City of Portland, Michigan,” but officials say they continue to receive misdirected messages.