MRGCD election 2009
And, yes, you should care
For once there’s been a decent amount of press about the Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District election, in large part due to the current board’s unanimous rejection of the Ditches With Trails project—three years in the making and one sweaty, crowded, ill-mannered board meeting in the killing.
Since that fateful night, people like state senators Dede Feldman and Jerry Ortiz y Pino have been pointing out the unresponsiveness and conflicts of interest that plague the MRGCD’s policies and politics, and have thrown their support behind opposition candidates Adrian Oglesby and Karen Dunning.
If you’re still saying “the what election?” then this post’s for you:
What: Four seats on the MRGCD board (two in Bernalillo County)
When: Tuesday, January 2
Why: Because there’s more than one way to keep the valley green.
Here’s a round-up of information on this tiny little election that could have a great big impact on life in the Rio Grande Valley. Read up, saddle up, and vote on Tuesday:
• MRGCD 2009 Election Information (mrgcd.com)
• Battle over irrigation ditches comes to a head (newmexicoindependent.com)
• Dede Feldman's Take on the Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District Race (senatorfeldman.typepad.com)
• Perplexity, Persistence, and the MRGCD Elections (dukecityfix.com)
• MRGCD - VOTE ! Find a Location Near You & Go to the Polls June 2 (senatorfeldman.typepad.com)
• Conservation Voters endorses slate in MRGCD board election (newmexicoindependent.com)
• Challenger Promises Change (abqjournal.com)
• MRGCD Diversity Focus of Hopefuls (abqjournal.com)
• MRGCD Candidates Square Off at Forum (abqjournal.com)
• MRGCD Radar Misses Water-Rights Transfer (abqjournal.com)