Odds & Ends

Odds & Ends

Devin D. O'Leary
5 min read
Share ::

Dateline: Tennessee

How has this not happened a million times before? A flight attendant from Memphis stands accused of stealing mini liquor bottles from work. The Shelby County District Attorney’s Office said 28-year-old Rachel Trevor has been indicted on charges including theft of property over $10,000, unlawful sale of alcohol, unauthorized transportation of alcohol and unauthorized storage of liquor for sale after an investigation revealed she had stolen nearly 1,500 tiny bottles of booze while working at Endeavor Air, a regional affiliate of Delta Airlines. Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission investigators say Trevor would stuff her travel bag full of rum, vodka, gin and whiskey after each flight and then list the bottles for sale on Craigslist for $1 each. Trevor is no longer employed by Endeavor Air. She faces a minimum sentence of 3 to 15 years.

Dateline: Florida

According to the Daytona Beach News-Journal, a man accidentally shot himself while cleaning his gun—and didn’t notice the wound until he changed his shirt two days later. Volusia County Sheriff’s Office said deputies responded to a report of a shooting victim Saturday, May 7, at Florida Hospital Fish Memorial in Orange City. There officers spoke with 37-year-old Michael Blevins of Deltona. Blevins told deputies he was cleaning his .22 caliber pistol Thursday in his living room. Blevins said he was holding the weapon close to his chest to prevent his dog from jumping near it. The man said he felt a sharp pain in his back from a previous injury when he tried to stand up. He collapsed and struck his head against the edge of a coffee table, causing the gun to go off. Blevins said he didn’t think the bullet had stuck him until Satuday, when he removed his long-sleeved shirt and discovered the entry and exit wounds on his arm. Blevins also said the medication he takes for his back injury may have prevented him from feeling any pain from the gunshot. He was released from the hospital later that day. Deputies accompanied Blevins to his home and concluded that the shooting was accidental.

Dateline: California

According to the
San Francisco Chronicle, a man in northern California tried to rob a car wash with an empty potato chip bag. The Department of Public Safety in Rohnert Park, located some 50 miles north of San Francisco, issued a statement saying the unidentified man entered KaCees World of Water car wash on the night of Friday, May 13, and dropped an empty potato chip back on the counter. He told the cashier to fill the bag with money and warned the employee that he had a gun. Weirdly, the man tried to imply the gun was in the bag. The cashier picked it up and saw that it only had a piece of cardboard inside. He called out to coworkers in the parking lot for help and the suspect fled on foot. According to the Sonoma County Sheriff’s office, the unsuccessful suspect is still on the loose.

Dateline: Nebraska

A Lincoln man is busy insisting he is alive after the Social Security Administration declared him dead. Charles Richard Zellers II told the
Lincoln Journal Star he learned of his untimely passing in March after his Social Security deposit was removed from his bank account while he and his wife were on vacation in Arizona. Zellers drove to the Social Security office in Phoenix and spoke to a woman, asking why the regular deposit had been rescinded. “Oh, by golly, you are dead,” she reportedly said. “She told me it could have been a funeral home declared you deceased, or that someone just put in a wrong keystroke or something like that,” the non-deceased 73-year-old explained. Since March Zellers has been working on getting his credit, his VA benefits and other financial information restored. “My accounts were suspended,” Zellers told the Journal Star. “One of the insurance companies was getting ready to pay me off, so I got that stopped.” Since he returned home, proving that he’s not dead to various government agencies has involved “a lot of driving and a lot of calling.”

Dateline: Kansas

Two people were shot during a high school graduation ceremony in what Augusta Police Chief Tyler Brewer categorized as a “knucklehead situation.” A 37-year-old male with a concealed carry permit was among the audience at Augusta High School’s graduation ceremony, held in the school’s Hillier Stadium on Sunday, May 15. “An individual sitting on the southern portion of the stadium had brought this gun into the stadium. It was in his sock,” Brewer told the press. “It was uncomfortable for him. He went to adjust his sock, and the weapon went off, striking him in the foot.” According to police, the bullet then ricocheted off the ground and struck a 28-year-old woman in the calf. One witness told reporters she was “bleeding like crazy.” The gunman reportedly drove himself to a hospital, while the woman was taken to Wesley Medical Center. “It doesn’t look like they are life-threatening injuries at this point in time,” Brewer said. “We are still investigating.” The school ceremony continued, uninterrupted, after the shooting. Authorities are considering whether to press charges. Although the man had a permit for the weapon, there was a sign “clearly posted at the entrance” to Hillier Stadium forbidding firearms on school property.

Compiled by Devin D. O'Leary. Email your weird news to devin@alibi.com.

1 2 3 455